The EEOC recently outlined its Strategic Enforcement Plan for 2017 to 2021. This tells employers what they should be aware of when hiring an increasingly diverse workforce.
The enforcement priorities they outlined included:
- Protecting vulnerable workers, including immigrant and migrant workers, and underserved communities from discrimination.
- Addressing selected emerging and developing issues.
- Ensuring equal pay protections for all workers.
- Preserving access to the legal system.
- Preventing systemic harassment.Two notable changes that were added to the goals that the EEOC outlined in its 2013 -2016 were:
- Issues related to complex employment relationships in the 21st-century workplace.
- Backlash discrimination against those who are Muslim or Sikh, or persons of Arab, Middle Eastern, or South Asian descent, as well as persons perceived to be members of these groups.
The EEOC cites tragic events both in the U.S. and overseas as having increased the potential of discrimination against individuals from the communities outlined in the second issue.
However, according to Jon Hyman of Cleveland-based Meyers, Roman, Friedberg & Lewis, the first of these two issues more than likely centers around the use of big data in the workplace and is especially pertinent with relation to temporary workers, staffing agencies and the on-demand, gig economy. Time will tell how the concerns and rights of these workers will be protected over time.
There is no question that the workplace of today is vastly changed from that of even just a few years ago. Today there is much more diversity of cultures and skills that each employee brings to the job. Every company wants to be compliant with EEOC standards and to consider each applicant based on the strengths that they bring to the table.
At NetPEO, we are a network of companies that can help you find the right person to fill the positions you need in your organization. We can also assist you in managing employee payroll, incentives, and compensation benefits that you offer to your workers. With our alliance partners, we also feature HR outsourcing, and employee leasing services.
Contact us today to discuss your company’s current needs and goals. We are here to all of your questions and show you how we can help. Call to schedule a free assessment today and get guaranteed results.